Thursday, December 10, 2015

The List of Things To Tell You is Long

From our 'A Question of Meaning' TV show,
in which we had spontaneous discussions
Arthur and I talked to each other about almost everything. Conversation was a huge part of our relationship. When I think of the things I miss now that he is gone, conversation looms large.
Conversation was how we worked out problems in our relationship, how we developed our philosophy, how we understood other people and what was happening in the world.
Just recently I thought, “I’m stupider without Arthur to bounce ideas off. He would often show me something I missed. Together we’d see a larger picture than either of us could see alone.”
Plus I’m always encountering things I want to tell Arthur about. Back on March 21 I wrote, “The hardest part about you being gone, Arthur, is there are so many things I want to talk with you about, they’re piling up. That’s why I already have 80 pages in this grief journal, this is the only way I have to keep talking with you.”
Just recently I saw a reference to a John Lennon quote. (I saw this online and can’t get the source of this quote, unfortunately):
John Lennon once told a story about his early education. He said, “When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up. I wrote down ‘happy.’ They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” For his teachers, what he wanted to be had to reflect what he would do that would benefit society. His happiness was a nonsensical answer to them.
Arthur would have absolutely loved that. His (Arthur’s) whole life was a rejection of those teachers’ attitude and an embrace of Lennon’s.
As another example, Arthur and I wrote a story a few years ago called The People vs God, as a vehicle for our Game of God theology. The story was set in the future when the technology of instant translation was perfected so there would no longer be misunderstandings based on language. Just today I read in an article that Skype has introduced simultaneous translation in English, French, German, Italian, Mandarin and Spanish. Oh how I wish I could tell Arthur…

Note: If you'd like to hear how Arthur and I conversed with each other, check out this A Question of Meaning show. Fast forward past the song (unless you want to listen!) and start about 4:30 in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment