Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Life Goes On


Just recently I saw a Robert Frost quote on a Quote of the Day site: “In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.”

This brought to mind an experience I had a number of years ago when I looked at a genealogy chart of my family. I was going through some trouble in my life (although now I can’t remember what it was!) and as I looked at the names, and their dates of birth and death, I thought, “these people went through crises like I’m going through now. They somehow resolved all the crises of their lives until they reached that final crisis, death, that has only one resolution.”

This realization has given me a lot of comfort ever since. Before, when I was in a crisis I would feel as if I were drowning; it felt like life couldn’t possibly go on because this crisis was too hard to solve. It was like a paralysis.

Now I think: it’s just another one of my crises, one in a series. It too will pass, like all the others, until I reach that final crisis in my life. Then I will pass, and that’s all right too, because that is also part of life going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment